Town sets a flurry of projects in motion

Niskayuna Town HallNiskayuna Town Hall

Kristin Schultz

Gazette Reporter

Late October and early November were dangerous times to be a ribbon in Niskayuna, as the Town Board and Supervisor Joe Landry cut the ceremonial fabric on two projects and broke ground on a third.

Here’s a look at the flurry of municipal project activity.

Oct. 26: Groundbreaking for splash pad

The long-anticipated splash pad in Blatnick Park finally got underway as Landry, and council members Denise Murphy McGraw, John Della Ratta and Bill McPartlon joined town employees Lori Peretti and Matt Yetto at a groundbreaking.

Niskayuna resident Brett Steenburgh will do the engineering work for the project and Vortex Aquatic Structures International, a Montreal-based company, will be the equipment vendor.

The cost of the project is estimated to be $165,000. The project has been in the works for a couple of years, during which $50,000 was bonded.

It has not been determined where the remaining money will come from. It will either be bonded or come from the operating budget. The Town Board will decide on the matter when it adopts the capital bonding plan for 2018.

A $3,000 grant from the Niskayuna Community Foundation will fund benches along the perimeter of the splash pad.

Design work is expected to be completed this winter with construction beginning in the spring.

Nov. 1: Ribbon cut at water and sewer maintenance facility

The water and sewer maintenance departments got a new home on WTRY Road. Located on the same property as the town’s highway department, the 25,000-square-foot facility features garage, storage and workshop space and is designed to increase efficiency and extend the life of equipment.

The town funded the $3,075,894 tab by bonding $3 million and taking the remaining amount from the town’s operating funds.

Design began in September 2015 with contracts awarded a year later. Construction was completed in September 2017.

Nov. 6: Ribbon cut at Flower Hill bike trail extension

Walkers and bikers have a new and safer way to get from the area around Flower Hill Court to the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Hike Trail. The Flower Hill Multi-Use Path Connection is officially open for bicycle and pedestrian traffic.

On hand for the ribbon cutting was Supervisor Landry and Town Board members Della Ratta, Lisa Weber and McPartlon.

The budget for the project is $645,028, but the town expects the project to come in under budget. Of the total cost, 80 percent was paid for by state and federal grants and the remaining 20 percent, or $129,000, is expected to come from the town’s operating budget.

The project has been on the town’s wish list since 2003.