Balltown Road housing project proposal withdrawn

balltown-road_0

NISKAYUNA — Niskayuna BR Holding Company has withdrawn its application for a zone change, special use permit and site plan approval for a controversial housing development at Balltown and Van Antwerp roads.

The company plans to propose a new project for the parcel, bringing those plans to the town planning board at some point in the future, according to a letter announcing the withdrawal that was sent to the town by the developers. According to that letter, Niskayuna BR Holding officials “feel time is needed to adequately address public comments.”

[Will Niskayuna Planning Board give OK to widely opposed project?]

The company said it anticipates setting up work sessions with the community to discuss concerns over development of the property — concerns that were raised during the approval process for the previous housing plan.

091217-nisky-dev-web.jpg

The project faced vocal opposition at several planning board meetings. Residents cited traffic, safety and other concerns about the 50-unit apartment and townhome proposal.

“I am pleased that the zone change has been withdrawn at this time,” said resident Daci Shenfield. “We’re open to having a meaningful discussion for a proposal for that area that would work well with the existing community and neighborhood and is within the current zoning.”

A public hearing on the zoning change had been scheduled to take place during the Town Board’s Thursday meeting. It was not immediately clear if that hearing would remain on the agenda or be canceled.

“While I was committed to respecting the planning board process and was eager to hear from residents on Thursday night, I am opposed to the project in its current form and planned to vote no,” said Town Board member Denise Murphy McGraw in an email statement. “I am pleased to know we will be going back to the drawing board.”

Calls to the developer were not immediately returned.