BY MICHAEL KELLY
NISKAYUNA — Five things to know about yesterday’s news and upcoming action for Niskayuna High School athletics:
- Garrett Whitley homered, but it was not enough for the Niskayuna baseball team. The Silver Warriors lost Wednesday to Guilderland, 10-5, to fall to 1-2 in the Suburban Council.
- Stacy Gordon continued her torrid start to the 2015 season. The senior led the Niskayuna softball team to a 1-0 victory Wednesday against Guilderland, striking out 11 in a complete-game shutout while also batting in the game’s only run. Gordon’s sixth-inning double scored Gabby Schaffer, who had tripled. The club is now 2-1 for the season, and Gordon has driven in all four runs for the squad this season. Besides their game against Guilderland, the Silver Warriors have lost, 2-1, to Shaker and beaten Saratoga Springs, 2-1.
- The Niskayuna girls track and field team split its opening dual meet Wednesday, beating Mohonasen, 111-61, and losing to Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, 107-68. Recording event wins for the Silver Warriors were Ericka Stewart (200-meter dash in 27.38 seconds), Abigail Spiers (3,000-meter run in 10 minutes, 46.21 seconds), Julia Wagner (long jump at 14 feet, 1.5 inches), and Clare Lawson (triple jump at 30 feet, 0.75 inches).
- The Niskayuna boys tennis team took a 6-3 defeat Wednesday against Guilderland.
- Today, the Niskayuna boys lacrosse team puts its 53-game winning streak against Section II opponents on the line against La Salle Institute. The Silver Warriors are 5-1 on the season.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (Home games at school, unless otherwise noted)
4:15 p.m.: Softball at Mohonasen
5 p.m.: Boys lacrosse hosts La Salle Institute
4:15 p.m.: Boys track and field hosts Medley Relay Challenge
4:15 p.m.: Girls track and field hosts Medley Relay Challenge
4:15 p.m.: Baseball at Mohonasen
4:15 p.m.: Boys tennis hosts Mohonasen, at Central Park
9 a.m.: Boys track and field hosts Warrior Classic
9 a.m.: Girls track and field hosts Warrior Classic
Noon: Boys lacrosse at St. Anthony’s
2 p.m.: Baseball at West Genesee
3 p.m.: Girls lacrosse hosts Bethlehem
For updates about today’s action, follow Michael Kelly on Twitter: @ByMichaelKelly